Yosemite Half Dome planning meeting

From the NPS—>

Yosemite National Park will be hosting its monthly open house on May 26, 2010. The Open house is from 1 to 6 pm in the Valley Visitor Center Auditorium. Park entrance fees are waived for attendees.
Project managers will be on hand to discuss the Half Dome Trail Stewardship Plan, Invasive Plant Management Plan Update, the Wawona Road project, the Tioga Road EA, and many other ongoing projects. Special presentations on the Half Dome Trail Stewardship Plan will ocurr at 2:30 and 5 pm.

Half Dome Cables Will Not Be in Place over Memorial Day Weekend
Cool, wet conditions have persisted well into May, resulting in a heavier-than-usual and slowly-melting snowpack. As a result, the subdome, below the Half Dome cables, is covered in snow. A slip and fall from the subdome’s steep snowfield could cause serious injury or death. For the safety of employees setting up the cables and hikers, the cables will not be put up until conditions improve. We will monitor conditions over the next two weeks and issue an expected opening date as soon as possible.
If you have a permit for May 21-23 or May 28-31, you will receive a refund.
 
The trail up the subdome is completely covered in snow.

Advertisements

10 Responses to “Yosemite Half Dome planning meeting”

  1. andy Says:

    I just received my permit tickets in the mail for the 28th of May. Doh!

    So those of you that have only email confirmations, you should get tickets in the mail.

  2. mrhalfdome Says:

    You now have a “suitable for framing” momento.

    Rick

  3. John Says:

    Yup, got a *phone* *call* a half hour ago telling me the cables wouldn’t be going up for the May 29th through 31st (Memorial Day) weekend.

    Apparently they are even going to refund the $1.50/ticket reservation fee (which they didn’t need to do, in my opinion).

    Also, it looks like Glacier Point Road may not be open for my Glacier Point -> Little Yosemite Valley -> Happy Isles camping trip the following week. Disappointing, of course, but at least I got to ski in March at Badger Pass…

    And I am glad to see they are looking out for the safety of the park rangers.

  4. andy Says:

    I got the “the call” also. I appreciate the fact they took the time to let people know.

  5. mrhalfdome Says:

    Wow…real human communication. Old School.

    This has turned into a real hairball for them. And now the scoping process on top of all the cables permit and “too much snow” conditions.

    The project team seemes sincere.they are planning more public metings…maybe Berkeley in the Bay Area. NO word yet on a conference capability. ..of Go to Meeting…or WebEx…or smoke signals.

  6. John Says:

    Almost…

    It was recorded message… In fact it might’ve been the second paragraph in your blog post above verbatim but, yes, it was communication (after a fashion).

    At least it gave me enough time to make alternate plans.

  7. Sönke Says:

    I know it doesn’t make the situation any better but it took me three flights from Europe, thousands of $$$ and years of waiting before I finally could hike Half Dome.

    I vividly remember when I had plans to hike on June 9 and the trail was still closed. I had to leave on the 10th – the day the trail was opened. 😦

  8. John Says:

    Been there, all snoW… No Mariposa Road open either…

  9. andy Says:

    Just got my refund. I’d rather be hiking

  10. kathy Says:

    Snow in the Sierra again tonight!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: